Disney California Adventure Park Expands Lunar New Year Festivities to 24 Days, Featuring “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration,” “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” and More
ANAHEIM, Calif. (Jan. 19, 2018) – Disneyland Resort will bring its biggest Lunar New Year celebration yet to Disney California Adventure Park, Friday, Jan. 26 to Sunday, Feb. 18, 2018. To commemorate the Year of the Dog, guests will experience more Lunar New Year fun than ever before as the celebration expands to 24 days full of multicultural performances, fun-filled activities, beautiful décor, delicious cuisine and themed merchandise to celebrate the start of a new year.
Guests at the Lunar New Year festivities will discover plenty of Disney magic as they experience Asian culture through inspired food, music and entertainment with their family and friends. Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year. Highlights of the Lunar New Year celebration at Disney California Adventure will include:
- Pluto greeting guests during the “Year of the Dog” Lunar New Year celebration, along with pals Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and Chip ‘n Dale, all dressed in their Lunar New Year attire.
- “Hurry Home-Lunar New Year Celebration,” the heartwarming nighttime water show at Paradise Bay prior to “World of Color” which tells the tale of a little lantern’s quest to reunite with family for the annual celebration of good luck and fortune. Guests will be delighted to see Mulan and Mushu who become a part of the little lantern’s journey.
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession,” a magical celebration hosted by Mulan and Mushu that honors Lunar New Year and celebrates family and friendship. Goofy joins the fun this year by spreading happiness to all in his celebratory “god of Good Fortune” attire.
- Three Asian marketplaces located near the Golden Zephyr attraction will offer delightful foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, as well as a special Lunar New Year menu at Paradise Garden Grill. More about the many food items, including a purple sweet potato macaron and pork soup dumplings with black vinegar and ginger, can be found at the Disney Parks Blog.
* Korean Marketplace
* China Marketplace
* Vietnam Marketplace
- Live, daily performances with authentic musicians.
* The Gugu Drum Group from Shanghai, China, is a high-energy troupe of drummers, storytellers and athletes who perform authentic movements and ancient percussive rhythms to bring timeless Chinese proverbs, fables and fairy tales to life at Paradise Park.
* Vietnamese artist Dat Nguyen plays traditional and original compositions on classical guitar, lute, flute and melodica at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
* Korean musician Luna Lee plays the gayageum, an ancient Korean string instrument at Paradise Garden Bandstand.
* Additional local performers including Korean drummers, Vietnamese hat dancers, Vietnamese flower dancers, and Korean fan dancers perform daily.
* An area for guests to try their hand at arts and crafts with local artisans, including Chinese calligraphy, paper lantern making and complimentary face painting.
* A Lucky Wishing Wall, where guests may add their own wishes for a wonderful future.
* Beautiful Lunar New Year décor, including ornamental lanterns and banners wishing guests a Happy Lunar New Year in English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese.
- New Lunar New Year merchandise inspired by different cultures of East Asia.
* Special items all the way from Shanghai Disney Resort will be available for purchase, including traditional red envelopes for gift-giving, Mickey Mouse plush, Minnie Mouse snow globes and a limited-edition pin.
* Commemorative items featuring special Lunar New Year designs will be available, including adult tees and hoodies.
For a limited time, guests of the Disneyland Resort will celebrate the lively and colorful traditions of Lunar New Year, only at Disney California Adventure. Guests may check for daily entertainment schedules as they become available, at Disneyland.com/LunarNewYear.